Sunday, January 4, 2009

Blood Type, Diet and Personality

Lately I've been exploring the relationship between blood type, diet, and health. I know a couple of people who lost 30-50 lbs on the Eat Right for your Type diet. Since I moved back to the suburbs 2+ years ago, I've been struggling with weight gain. So I got curious and bought one of the Eat Right books a couple of months ago.
In addition to my friends' proven successes on the plan, I was sold by the fact that the diet recommended for my type (I'm blood type A RHpos) is very much aligned with how I eat when I am paying attention to my body and taking good care of myself: mostly vegetarian, with certain types of fish being good for me and others not agreeing with me. Plenty of fruits and vegetables, with berries being especially good and banana, coconut, and melon not so much. Root veggies and dark leafy greens need to be a much bigger part of my food world... Cream cheese, sour cream, feta and goat cheese are all fine, but I need to stay away from the most cow's milk products and the hard cheeses that I love to gorge myself on, but secretly know don't agree with me. I could eat chicken according to the type A plan, but I choose not to. The plan also says I must stay away from all kinds of red meat; I figured that out about 15 years ago. It also says that while gluten is fine for me, wheat is not a good choice. (This is a tough one given that wheat flour is used as a filler in sooo many processed foods and breads.)
Anyway, the fact that the plan syncs with much of what I've discovered through 15 years of trial and error makes me happy; I tend not to like too much sudden change... unless it's my idea; imposed from some external source, not so much.

Since being introduced to the Eat Right diet, I've been wondering about how it might sync up with Macrobiotics and Ayurveda (Indian medicine), both of which are systems I've experimented with in the past, that seem to overlap nicely for my "type" and particular issues.

When I stumbled across a link to this article on HuffPo, I found it a fascinating addition to my little study of blood type and how it relates to diet, lifestyle and personality. It should, I suppose, be taken with a grain of salt because of its provenance. Nonetheless, the type A description is spot-on for me:

Type O
You are the social butterflies. Often popular and self-confident, you are very creative and always seem to be the center of attention. You make a good impression on people and you’re often quite attractive. Organized and determined, your stubbornness will help you reach your goals. You make good leaders. Lovewise, O is most compatible with O and AB. Common career choices: banker, politician, gambler, minister, investment broker, and pro athlete.

Type A
Type As may seem calm on the outside, but inside, you’re filled with anxiety and worry. You’re perfectionists and often shy and sensitive. Usually introverted, you’re stable and thoughtful. You make good listeners and are sensitive to color and your surroundings. You like to be fashionable and are up on the latest trends, but never flashy or gaudy. You like romantic settings and often shun reality for fantasy worlds. A is most compatible with A and AB in the love department. Common career choices: accountant, librarian, economist, writer, computer programmer, and gossip columnist.

Type B
You can be very goal-oriented and often complete the ambitious tasks set before you. Outgoing and very charming, you’re good at reading people and providing support. Though critical of appearance (but not your own), you aren’t picky and are unlikely to dwell over the little things. Type Bs are impulsive individualists who often create their own path in life. You are very strong and optimistic. B is most compatible with B and AB lovers. Common career choices: cook, hairdresser, military leader, talk show host, and journalist.

Type AB
Not surprisingly, ABs can be quite dualistic, possessing both A and B traits. You may be shy and outgoing, and hesitant and confident. You often stand out from others, don’t like labels, and are nice and easy going. You are logical and determined to do things correctly. Usually trustworthy, you like to help others. You often speak in a serious manner. Your patience, concentration, and intelligence are admirable. AB can find a soul mate with any other blood type. Common career choices: bartender, lawyer, teacher, sales representative, and social worker.

Read the entire article here.

I'd love to see some huge, integrative chart of how blood type characteristics sync up with Macrobiotics and Ayurveda in terms of diet, lifestyle, and personality...

No comments:

Post a Comment